Science Fact of the Week 4 - Lightning
This week's fact of the week is in fact a series of shocking revelations about lightning!
- Did you know that a lightning bolt generates temperatures five times hotter than those found at the sun's surface!
- In addition, lightning strikes somewhere on the surface of the earth about 100 times every second.
- Each flash contains about one billion volts of electricity. That's enough energy to light a 100-watt bulb for three months.
- In the United States alone, lightning sets 10,000 forest fires and causes $100 million in property damage every year.
- Between 1940 and 1991, it killed 8,316 people in the U.S.
- Today the average number of lightning-related deaths in the U.S. is 80 a year.
- Not everyone who is struck by lightning dies.
To find out more about lightning click here.